Ex-funeral home operator sentenced for giving families fake ashes and wrong bodies

A Colorado funeral home scandal that already sounded almost impossible to process just got another major courtroom chapter. Carie Hallford, the former co-owner of Return to Nature Funeral Home, was sentenced Monday to 18 years in federal prison after admitting to a scheme that cheated grieving families, gave some of them urns filled with concrete mix instead of their loved ones’ ashes, and fraudulently took nearly $900,000 in COVID-19 relief money. Federal prosecutors said she will also serve three years of supervised release and pay more than $1.07 million in restitution.

What makes this case hit so hard is that it was never only about money. Authorities said Hallford and her ex-husband, Jon Hallford, mishandled at least 190 bodies over about four years while still collecting more than $130,000 from families for cremations and funeral services. In some cases, investigators found families had been given fake ashes. In two burial cases, AP reported that the wrong body was buried.

The scope of the horror is a huge reason this case drew national attention in the first place. AP has described the Penrose discovery as one of the largest findings of decaying bodies at a funeral home in the United States. Investigators found 189 bodies decomposing inside the building, and the fallout was so severe that it pushed Colorado lawmakers to overhaul the state’s previously lax funeral home regulations.

The spending details made the case even uglier. Prosecutors said the Hallfords used pandemic-era small business aid and other funds on luxury purchases instead of running the funeral home properly. Court records cited by AP and the Justice Department included vehicles, cryptocurrency, expensive purchases from Gucci and Tiffany & Co., and laser body sculpting. That helped prosecutors paint the scheme not as mismanagement or a business collapsing under pressure, but as a long-running fraud carried out while families trusted them with some of the most painful moments of their lives.

Hallford’s attorneys had asked for a shorter sentence, arguing she was a “scared and desperate mother” who had been manipulated and abused by her ex-husband. AP reported that her lawyer said the “fog in her mind” lifted only after she was jailed in a state case and separated from his constant calls and texts. But the court still handed down a sentence well above what federal guidelines would typically suggest for someone with no criminal history, showing just how seriously prosecutors and the judge viewed the damage done to victims.

The case is not over for her yet. Hallford still faces a separate state sentencing after she and Jon Hallford both pleaded guilty to nearly 200 counts of corpse abuse. AP reported that her state sentencing is scheduled for April 24 and that she faces 25 to 35 years there, though the plea deal calls for the state and federal sentences to run at the same time. Jon Hallford was already sentenced to 20 years in federal prison and 40 years in state prison.

The most haunting part of this story is what families are still living with long after the arrests and sentencing hearings. In one AP account, a man who had buried what he believed were his mother’s ashes on Maui later learned from the FBI that her body had actually been among the 189 found in Penrose. He developed panic attacks and PTSD after the discovery. That is the real weight hanging over every new development in this case: even with prison time handed down, there is no sentence that gives those families back the trust and peace they thought they had already paid for.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *